Friday, May 18

Where The Sidewalk Ends

Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite authors, poets and illustrators.  One of my favorite poems is in his book, Where The Sidewalk Ends.  I thought of it while I was working on my sidewalk.


My copy of Where The Sidewalk Ends was published in 1974 by Harper & Row Publishers Inc.  It was a gift to my daughter from one of her friends.   Yes, I keep things that long!


This poem may remind you of someone you know.  :D

Hector the Collector, by Shel Silverstein

Hector the Collector
Collected bits of string
Collected dolls with broken heads
And rusty bells that would not ring.
Pieces out of picture puzzles,
Bent-up nails and ice cream sticks.
Twists of wires, worn out tires,
Paper bags and broken bricks.
Old chipped vases, half shoelaces,
Gatlin' guns that would not shoot.
Leaky boats that would not float
And stopped up horns that would not toot.
Butter knives that had no handles
Copper keys that fit no locks,
Rings that were too small for fingers,
Dried-up leaves and patched up socks.
Worn out belts that had no buckles,
'Lectric trains that had no tracks.
Airplane models, broken bottles.
Three-legged chairs and cups with cracks.
Hector  the Collector
Loved these things with all his soul -
Loved them more than shining diamonds,
Loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,
"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked . . . and called it junk.

This post is for my son-in-law who came into my house on Sunday with my Mother's Day cake. He looked at my daughter and said,  "There's no place to set it down!"  To which my daugher replied,  "Mom, can't you get rid of some of this stuff?"

Silly sightless people.  :D

Illustration from the book, Where The Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein

You really NEED to read this book!  Then you will know about Sara Cynthia Sylvia Stout who would not take the garbage out.   :D

Today is garbage day here.  I doubt there will be much taken out to the street...




10 comments:

Drora's minimundo said...

Oh, I love this book! I love this poem! On my table today there is so much "junk".
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Drora

Josje said...

I don't know the book but what a lovely little poem! But no, I don't know aaaaanyone like that at all.....;-)

Sans! said...

Here I am thinking just this morning : I ought to take 1 year off work just to clear the rubish from my house :)

Fabulously Small said...

Great poem, painfully recognizable ;) ! It sounds tempting to read the book, so I put it on my wishlist, thanks for the advice!

Lucille said...

It sounds like a fantastic book, Kathi! I loved the poem. Whenever I build just a small piece of furniture, I always wonder how such a small piece can create such havoc! It's so hard not having a craft room. I used to put everything away after each session but I don't always anymore. Now I just put things away after I'm finished building that small piece. I live alone and I've stopped being so fussy.

Caseymini said...

Kathi, I changed my name to Hector a long time ago...Love the book.

Jill said...

I love that poem. Why is it that the people that visit my home are so sightless? I just don't understand. Please know that if I were to visit you, I would appreciate all your treasures. I totally get it. :)
Hugs,
Jill
PS: Please come to my fairy garden housewarming today~ I'm having so much fun!

Indy_Poppy said...

Cool poem. My kids in my class performed "sick" last year. They loved it

sunshinefl95 said...

Wow I just picked that book up in TJ Maxx, & looked at it and smiled. Memories from grade school

Troy said...

I can relate!